Thursday, December 6, 2007

Book Report

Albom, Mitch. For one more day. New York, New York. Mitch Albom Inc: 2006

I chose this book because for my freshman year, my book club book was “The five people you meet in heaven”, and I really enjoyed reading the book. I really liked it, and I had heard that the author had a couple books out, but I didn’t know which ones. But in Starbucks one day, I saw a book that the author looked familiar to me. This is when I realized that it was a Mitch Albom book, which is when I got it. This book is more like a biography or you could say an interview in the person’s point of view. It takes place most of the time in a small town in Pepperville Beach, and is to the date type of setting.
The plot is a lot of things, because the main character’s life is going in a disaster. It first starts out that he cheats on his wife and soon after his wife divorces him, and then realizes that he is a big mess without a family, and someone to love. His daughter gets married and doesn’t even invite him to her wedding, because she ashamed of having her dad there. And the only person he had, that would still care about his life was him mother which had already died. He felt he had no one left in the world that would even care if he was dead or alive. He drove back to his hometown and decided he was going to be brought in this world in Pepperville Beach that he would leave it too. He threw himself off the top of a big water tank. But the thing is he when he woke up, he saw his mother once again, but went over time, and realized that during his lifetime when his mother was left by his dad, always wanted the best for him but he wouldn’t show much love for her back. As he went back in time, it showed how the day she died, he was supposed to be there with her, but decided to lie to his family and play a baseball game for his dad after 20 something years he just came back with out any reason. But since he didn’t play too well his dad just left him once again, and missed his mother’s birthday and death.
The character I choose is the mother, because while she comes into play in the book, she is juts as important as the main character is. I thought she is what made the book more interesting, and made me want to keep on reading the rest. The whole time while her son is trying to figure out why his mom is alive again, she is acting like nothing is wrong. She is just a really strong, beautiful, kind, and loving person. I say this because according to the book she had gone through so many things with her ex-husband and community, and although she knows all the bad things her son has done, she accepts it and forgives him and loves him just as much. The plot changes in the end; by of course the mom because, he just had the chance to be with that one person that really loves him no matter what. He soon wakes up, and is in the hospital with a surrounding of his family, and is thankful for all things he could have lost. But by having the extra chance to be with his mom, he also got a reality check of what things he has, and what he could mean to other people if he was gone. Just like his mom.
I loved this book, I read this book until my eyes got tired and closed. But everyday, it kept me on my toes waiting to see what was going to happen next. It wasn’t a thriller, but it was just a great book! I already have recommended it to my friends, which are probably going to read it for their next outside reading. This book also came with a lot morals, by teaching me that everyone is not living to be taken for granted. We all have only one life, to live it happy no matter what kind of problems you have, and never take your life because you think no one cares about you, because to one person you could mean the world to them.
This book is based on a true story, but other than that I do think people actually go through these situations everyday. People that go through suicidal emotions, or people that have no other way to handle their problems.
I would never act anything close to who and how the character is because I wouldn’t take the same decisions as he did, I know we’re not perfect but I love my life. And I wouldn’t screw it up, and take big decisions like he did. But there are many teenagers and young people that think the same way as he did.
I really plan on finding the rest of the books Mitch Albom has written, because just with the two books I read so far from him, I am really impressed and love them. So I hope to find the rest from him.

No comments: